The Vista Alegre porcelain factory was founded in 1824 by José Ferreira Pinto Basto on request of the king of Portugal Pedro VI. Sincel1832 the factory intensified it's work and focused on perfecting the porcelain, beginning a golden era which culminated in the nineteenth century. The contribution of foreign artists like Victor Rousseau was important, especially for the creation defined painting school. This was a very relevant period in the history of Vista Alegre: there was a great deal of attention by the owners for the conditions of workers; golden decorations were introduced representing landscapes and delicate flowers and in 1880 the glass production stopped. In recent years, thanks to a strong industrial development,it established itself in all major markets, whether selling directly under its own brand, or producing on behalf of other large factories of porcelain.